Child Support Modification and Substantial Changes in Income | Learn About Law

Child Support Modification and Substantial Changes in Income | Learn About Law

In Illinois, a temporary child support order that has been entered while a child support proceeding is pending may be modified any time before the entry of a final judgment.  
In this episode, we discuss how to modify #IllinoisChildSupport obligations, what constitutes a “substantial change in circumstances” that would allow #ChildSupport to be modified, and when child support can be modified in Illinois. Subscribe:

Read the article:

Have any questions that weren’t answered here? Let us know in the comment section!

Subscribe to BLTV for daily Learn About Law videos:

If you are in the Northern Illinois area, and would like to make an appointment with an attorney, O’Flaherty Law would be happy to help. If you would like to schedule a free consultation or receive paid legal advice, go to: or call our office directly at (630) 324-6666. is hosted by Bryan McDonald from OnPurpose Growth
My LinkedIn:
My Twitter:

Unlike other business-oriented podcasts, we will not give you “RA RA!” motivation. The purpose of this podcast is to provide you with actionable strategies and tactics that you can incorporate into your own business immediately.

Every week, we will interview a successful business owner and plunge into the mind of our guest for specific lessons learned in the course of business. In the second half of each episode, we will have that business owner join us for an in-depth discussion of a particular topic apropos to his or her business, and hopefully to yours as well.

Learn About Law is part of the Business Lounge Network, offering convenient and affordable office space in the Chicagoland area. Escape the noise of a crowded office or home and instead work in our professional and calm environment built to suit your business needs. For news on free events, membership offers and more, visit

Do you have marketing, editing or audio/video production needs for your business, podcast or website? Want to be a part of the BLTV network? Let us know what we can do for you by calling us at 630-324-6666 or by emailing us at

More Learn About Law videos, podcasts, and articles:

Learn More about O’Flaherty Law:

Like us on Facebook for daily videos:

O’Flaherty Law has convenient offices located in Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Naperville, Tinley Park, St. Charles, and Lake in the Hills, Illinois, serving DuPage, Will, Cook, Lake, Kane, Kendall and McHenry Counties. Its attorneys focus on providing quality legal work, above-and-beyond customer service, and affordable rates in the following practice areas: divorce & family law; estate Planning, wills & trusts; probate & estate administration; litigation, civil law & dispute resolution; business representation & corporate law; guardianship, elder law & special needs law; residential & commercial real estate law; immigration; bankruptcy; and DUI law and traffic & criminal defense.

O’Flaherty Law is proud to offer a free initial consultation in most areas of law. The free consultation will provide general answers on what we can do for you regarding a legal matter, specifics on what services we provide, and brief explanations on what your options for legal service may be. A free consultation does not include free legal advice or answers to specific legal questions relating to your matter. Free consultations last no longer than 30 minutes, but a full 30 minute consultation may not always be required.

None of the content in this series is intended as paid legal advice.

Subscribe to our channel for daily videos dedicated to law and business.

Did your child just turn 21? Watch this video by our Saratoga family lawyer to learn how the state handles terminating child support payments.

In New York State, child support runs to the age of 21. What you do when your child is about to turn 21 depends on how you are paying child support. If you have an agreement and a judgment of divorce that requires a direct payment of child support and doesn’t involve the Support Collection Unit, you can simply stop on your child’s 21st birthday –unless your agreement says support runs past that date. If it’s direct pay, you can just stop paying. If your child support is being paid through the Support Collection Unit, it would be a good idea for you to file a petition seeking to terminate child support, six to four months prior to the end date of the support obligation. You want to make sure that family court and the Support Collection Unit are on the same page and that your support will not run past the age when your child turns 21.

Jean M. Mahserjian, Esq., is a New York family law and divorce attorney in Albany, Saratoga, and the surrounding areas. If you are experiencing an issue in family law, divorce, child custody, or child support give us a call for a consultation at 518-380-2588 or visit us online at (
Free Divorce Guide (

child support legal service

12 thoughts on “Child Support Modification and Substantial Changes in Income | Learn About Law”

  1. I’m getting deducted off of an old job when I was making 14 an hour now I’m only making 9 a hour and I’m not even bringing home 180 dollars a week after child support I desperately need a modification.


  3. Thanks for the video. You didn't mention anything about increased parenting time either going up over 146 overnights or not. Does that count as a substantial change?

  4. To hell with modifying child support! Support your offspring that's a must. However do you self a favor and look up " void judgments" . Once you have a starting point the info you'll gain and not just regarding child support, but about much more. It'll probably piss ya off a bit for a second. All joking aside there is not ONE thing legal about child support. Therefore it's never been in acted into positive law. (Or void judgments) every body from of course child support enforcement agency, but according to the federal court's judge's, prosecuting attorney, clerk of the court, law enforcement ( officers) parole and probation officers, And anyone who is a member of the private members only club generally called The American Bar Association (all LAWYERS, judge's) have entered into a contract illegally, as illegal as hell but they did. According to the law ( not any codes, provisions, ordinance, policy, procedur, or statues) law sayith a judge prosiding over a case involving an agency, the judge's are merely clerks for the agency, and dose not act in judicial capasatity. In other words there employees of the agency. Everyone involved prosecuting attorney, clerk of the court, judge's, police, and public defender/ paid attorney's, etc are employed by the agency ( child support enforcement in this case) child support enforcement agency IS A PRIVATE CORPORATION. Not part of the government at all ( it's known in the federal manual of child support as " the single and separate unit") the are contracted with the executive branch of government, so he duties they preform are the duty preformed by the executive branch of government. So when these people whom preform duties of the judicial branch of government ( there day job) do anything related to or on behalf of the child support enforcement agency they are employees of the agency performing duties under the executive branch. The constitution say NO WAY! NO ONE PERSON SHALL PREFORM THE DUTIES OF MORE THAN ONE BRANCH OF GOVERNMENT AT THE SAME TIME. They are all in violation of the law, there or has, and the constitution. Bc there acting in private capacity sue there buts. And don't forget to file criminal charges against them as well. That's just one example of wrong doing, There's many many more violations there killing 12,000 American's here in the homeland each and every year. Bc every thing that they do is illegal then they rightfully and deservingly earned the title of the most prolific mass murder's in human history. They all should be in prison but not one is so it's up to you but no way not me. Also look up color of law, conspiracy to deprive of rights, depravation of rights under color of law, if you would like any more help email me. It'll be my pleasure and free of charge all day. Good day!

  5. Why would you have to pay past your Childs 21st birthday? The Law states 21, that is it, why would I be on the hook to pay anymore than what has already been established by Law in my Stipulation of Settlement and NYS Law? Sounds like a fishing expedition where an Attorney is looking to squeeze you for more cash. Legally speaking, the State can not charge you to pay more child support past the child's 21st birthday unless that child is a full time student, fully matriculating, then it goes to 22, otherwise they can not alter the Law of 21 being the age of emancipation.

Comments are closed.